27 January, 2012 | By: Rhee

Review: Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Will Grayson, Will Grayson





Title: Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Authors: John Green & David Levithan
Pages: 310
Published: 2010

Summary: One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.

Review: I have to admit that I avoided reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson because of the hype that surrounds John Green. I've really never understood why he has such a following around him, and I couldn't be bothered to figure out, but when I purchased a copy of Will Grayson, Will Grayson, that basically sealed the deal that I had to find out.

The book wasn't that great. It wasn't even good, really, except for the end. God bless Tiny Cooper, because he was the only good part about the novel. Everything else was just blah blah blabity blah, and that's saying something. It's not that I didn't like each Will Grayson on their own. It's just that I found them more irksome than likable, and that's putting it nicely.

Also, I wanted to kill Maura, but not as much as I wanted to kill David Levithan's writing style. I get that the emo, depressed gay kid had to have some sort of uniqueness about him, but really, was it too much of a trouble to capitalise your I's? Really? Just because he's depressed doesn't mean that he has to have everything in lowercase, because I was honestly expecting him to start narrating in text speak. It was just annoying and that was the reason that it took me so disastrously long to read this book. If I hadn't had a free day to spend curled up with it, determined to finish it, there would have been no way that I would have finished Will Grayson, Will Grayson in under a year. Well...month.

As I was saying before, God Bless Tiny Cooper. He was honestly the only good part of the book, and the whole concept of Tiny was just genius. The ending was the best part and is the only reason I could be bothered to give this book a three star review, because had it not been for Tiny and the end of the book, this might have been a one star review, or it might not have even been reviewed because the book would have been a forever unfinished novel sitting on my bookshelf, collecting dust until it ended up at Goodwill or sold to the next willing customer on Amazon.

It's not that I hated the book as much as it was just such a stereotypical annoyance of untimely doom, and that's all I have to say on the matter.

God. Bless. Tiny. Cooper.

Rating: ★★★ 3/5 Stars

0 responses:

Post a Comment