31 January, 2012 | By: Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn's Review: The Fault in Our Stars




Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Pages: 318
Published: 2012

Summary: Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

Review
It’s hard to imagine that some YA novel could sweep you off of your feet, especially when you approach a book with notions that I’ve already had.
John Green is a famous man; not only for his books, but for  all of Nerdfighteria, and ending world suck. I have read all of his preceding books, and while I loved each one individually, there is something about John Green I always ponder: Can he write something different? Everything he writes, he knows of. Situationally, at least. In his first four books, the main characters were scary similar (and in two of them, the love interests were as well). I was very, very wary when first approaching The Fault in Our Stars, because it was his first time writing from a girl’s perspective and he stated how hard and difficult it was.
When I first started TFIOS, I was hesitant. I didn’t like it at first. It was like stepping into a cold pool, one step at a time. I just wanted to get through it because oh goodness it was going to be the same and that’s not how girls think all the time, John Green!
But I was so wrong.
I cannot name a point in the novel, but at some point, there was a shift. There was a shift and I realised all the wonderful things I adore about John Green.
I love his metaphors. His ability to take situations or words or anything and give you a new perspective on them. And throughout this novel? That’s all that he did. Along with an original plot, there was so much symbolism. There were so many higher level metaphors, that are sure, spelt out for the reader, but that doesn’t make them any less brilliant. It doesn’t make the reader think less.
I really don’t know where to begin. I guess I’ll begin with the quality of the plot. It was unique. And, the reader is set up for something, but there is a huge, huge, huge twist. It’s like everything hits the reader at once. There were parts in the book when I was cursing this one character, wishing that they had never even bothered and that there was absolutely no one worse than them ever in the history of all things. And then there were parts when I was crying, sobbing really, because I just felt so many things and John Green has a magical way with words. It’s like a fantastical idea that hits you in such a real way you don’t even know what to think except it evoked so many emotions inside of you.
I can’t even properly say how much I liked this book. It’s just. It’s genius. Maybe the setting is what John Green knows and so are the characters, but hey, that doesn’t make it not brilliant. He writes amazingly.
The Fault in Our Stars is one of the rare, RARE books I would not mind rereading immediately. I feel like I have to, actually. There is only one other book that has ever made me feel that way…and well, that review is (hopefully!) coming soon.
TFIOS deserves every single star it’s getting. This star won’t go out. 

Rating:  ★★★★★ 5/5 Stars

0 responses:

Post a Comment