22 February, 2012 | By: Rhee

Review: Forbidden

Forbidden (The Guardian Chronicles, #1)





Title: Forbidden
Author: Megan Curd
Series: The Guardian Chronicles
Pages: 270
Published: 2011

Summary: Levi's job is to protect his human until it's their time to go. That's what a Guard does. He's done it for years on end, and he'll spend his eternity doing the same, mundane thing, following the same, mundane rules.

...Watch from afar.
...Never share your name.
...And above all, never touch a human.

What Levi doesn't know is that his newest human to protect, Hannah, just might be the catalyst to tipping the scales between good and evil, and he will be forced to decide which side he belongs to. Which friends will he side with, and who will he ultimately protect: his human, or the delicate balance that hangs on stopping the heartbeat of the person he has sworn to protect?

And, when you're already condemned, what's there to lose by breaking the rules?

Review: I really wasn't sure what to expect when I initially started reading Forbidden. First off, props to Megan Curd for writing a first person book from a boy's perspective. It's not something that's really intensely seen in novels, so I approve immensely. I believe that I was hesitant to read Forbidden because of the fact that I hadn't been recommended it and I had heard nothing about it at all. The only bit of knowledge that I had about it was from the summary, and I wasn't sure that I wanted to read it at all.

Looking back, I am so glad that I picked up this book. The days that I read it, I had actually fallen asleep while reading it. That wasn't because it was a boring or bad book, but due to the fact that I had stayed up until almost five in the morning, knowing that I had school the next day, just to see what was going to happen next in the book.

Levi intrigued me. I had almost expected him to be a little frustrating and annoying because his initial personality made me assume that he was going to be as such. It was refreshingly surprising to realise that the entire time that I read Forbidden, I didn't find him annoying or frustrating. Instead, I found his character to be one that grew throughout the book and I really enjoyed the way his feelings for his charge, Hannah, changed throughout the book.

My downright favourite character in the story had to have been Ethan. He entertained me and when I feared that something was going to happen to him, I freaked out more than any normal person should ever freak out when it comes to a character in a book. His personality was wonderful, the way he started out with a nonchalant attitude towards the humans and ended up becoming such a wonderful, starting-to-become-kind character. I really hope to see him progressing in the sequel, which I really can't wait to read!

The plot line of Forbidden kept me clinging to it, and I really was glad that it was a book that I hadn't set aside until whenever I was bored. It was a good choice and I would definitely recommend it to someone who was interested in reading a book about angels and rule-breaking from a male perspective, not that it much mattered whose perspective the book was from. It was wonderful and I won't hesitate to reread it sometime in the future.

Rating: ★★★★ 4/5 Stars

0 responses:

Post a Comment