20 February, 2012 | By: Rhee

Kaitlyn's Review: Cinder

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)





Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: Lunar Chronicles
Pages: 387
Published: 2012

Summary: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl... Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.

Review: Cinder. The title is the name of the main character, and it’s obvious that this is sort of a spin on the “Cinderella” story. However, Marissa Meyers takes this classic tale most of us grew up with and turns it into something entirely of her own; something as new as her book.

I adored this book! I know, I know, what book haven’t I adored lately, but the fact is that Rhee filters out the bad books and then lets me read them and then I get to rave about them. But! That doesn’t discredit the fact that Cinder was an amazing, amazing read.

First of all, it’s in third person, which is nice. The reader can’t help fall for Cinder. And as per she’s supposed to, she has an evil step mother. Who still makes me angry just thinking about her! Ugh.

There are aspects of the classic tale that Meyers makes her own. IE: the robot, Iko. Iko is adorable and I have my own predictions about her character (which I won’t say!) but I love her.

I also love the premise of the plague. Well, I hate it, because it’s a plague, but without it the book wouldn’t have that certain something that sets it apart from most other YA novels. I love that Cinder isn’t a typical teenage girl—not just in the fact that she’s a cyborg, but because she’s modest without being a Mary Sue that’s like “I can’t do anything right blah blah blah.” While it’s obvious Cinder doesn’t have much self-worth, she knows she’s the most skilled mechanic and doesn’t try to hide it, even if she is humble, which is exactly one of the best qualities about her. It really is almost impossible not to fall in love with Cinder.

As for the love interest, Prince Kai, just let me say there were so many “NOW KISS!” moments that I was groaning and whining at the book. Those really are the only moments when the reader wants to yell at Cinder because she’s being a doofus. Even if she has her reasons!

The premise of the “Lunars” is very interesting. It’s like Marissa Meyers mashed the thought of fairies and aliens and humans into one being. They’re scary, and I hope they never, ever exist, but it’s interesting and once again, adds that unique twist to the book. The book also will make you laugh. Meyers writes with a flow and grace that’s hard to ignore. The book will just flow and you won’t want to put it down, I promise.

If you’re looking for a book that’ll have you on your toes, feeling all the feelings, and leave you with such a cliff hanger that you will cry when you remember the next book doesn’t come out until 2013… then Cinder is for you! I completely recommend it.

Rating: ★★★★★ 5/5 Stars

0 responses:

Post a Comment